POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
8 Oct 2024 22:16:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Chambers
Date: 15 Oct 2009 18:25:41
Message: <4ad7a165$1@news.povray.org>
Some of the best "Sci Fi" I've ever read isn't even "Sci Fi."  Still
really good books, though :)  (I'm thinking of Donaldson's GAP Cycle).

I think part of the reason that Sci Fi remains a niche market is mainly
because many authors get the "Sci" part right, and the "Fi" part wrong.
  So many of the books are just downright *bad*, and even many of the
good ones have poor character development (wasn't it said of Asimov that
he "[wrote] about people as if he'd never met one"?).

I would really love to see more quality Sci Fi, that's actually good
fiction and not just good Sci Fi.  I realize Star Trek made attempts at
this (to the point of ignoring the science except as a Deus Ex Machina),
but they failed so horribly at the fiction part that it remains in a
class by itself.

...Chambers