POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open usenet servers? : Re: Open usenet servers? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open usenet servers?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Oct 2009 16:26:57
Message: <4ad78591$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:13:16 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> It makes a difference to people not versed in NNTP.  That's the point
>> that's being made.
>
> And people not versed in web forums won't look through the sticky
> threads to see what they want, either.  Trust me, nothing will make
> someone read a FAQ before asking a stupid question.

People not versed in web forums who visit web forums will see the sticky
messages first when they enter the forum.  I only recently started using
them myself, but I learned very quickly that I want to look at the
stickies before asking any question.

There are some people who never will read the FAQ, just like there are
some people who will never use Google to try to search first.  That
doesn't mean that things that call attention to the FAQ are useless.

People who use NNTP stand a far better chance of reading stickies than
people who don't use NNTP or e-mail lists are to look back through old
messages for answers to their questions.  NNTP users tend to be more
technically saavy and also tend to (but not always) do their homework
before asking a question.

Jim