POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Oct 2009 14:42:38
Message: <4ad76d1e@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Darren New schrieb:
>
>>> So in this sense, say: Can a computing machine that is programmable
>>> /by re-wiring only/ ever be Turing complete?
>>
>> What about a real physical implementation of a Turing machine, where
>> rewiring it gives you different Turing machines?
>
> As I already mentioned, this would require interpreting the "re-wiring
> operator" to be considered as part of the Turing machine itself (and the
> instructions you give to them as part of the input data), which I would
> really hesitate to agree with.

I think you're just using "by re-wiring only" to mean "cannot be wired into
a UTM."  Which is fine, but an odd kind of interpretation. I don't know the
details of Colossus as such, but it doesn't take a whole lot of wiring to
make a machine that's capable of being a UTM.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)