POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? : Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation? Server Time
5 Oct 2024 02:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma tutorial for the 3.7 documentation?
From: Warp
Date: 15 Oct 2009 14:15:00
Message: <4ad766a1@news.povray.org>
ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> In the time since the 3.6 release I gues over 80% of
> the users have switched from CRT to LCD that has no gamma at all. So an
> old image will never look the same on a new monitor.

  Actually that's exactly what gamma correction data in the images is
trying to fix: To actually make the image look the same when you switch to
a different monitor technology (assuming you configure your system gamma
settings properly). That's the whole idea of gamma information.

  (Of course how well this will succeed in practice depends on a ton of
things. It requires for the OS to have a proper gamma correction setting
in its display device driver, among other things.)

> For the common problem of gamma abuse in the past, for that "tone
> control" or contrast control would be nice.

  Actually a full post-processing scripting language would be nice, and
many times discussed, but ton of work to design properly.

--
                                                          - Warp