POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Oct 2009 11:01:52
Message: <4ad73960@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> but I wouldn't attribute this to the /tape/ being
> infinite vs. just "unbounded", but rather the rules in this case
> allowing to /access/ an infinitely large number of cells in a /single/
> step.

But *that* is *exactly* the difference between an infinite tape and an
unbounded one. An tape doesn't have to be infinite if you can't access an
infinite number of cells in a finite number of steps. That's exactly 100%
the entire point of the distinction.

> You still haven't managed to come up with any, from what I see.

I'll leave you to look it up in the textbooks, then, if you can't
extrapolate from that to a machine impossible to simulate.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)