POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modifying an image_map color? : Re: Modifying an image_map color? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modifying an image_map color?
From: clipka
Date: 15 Oct 2009 10:58:24
Message: <4ad73890$1@news.povray.org>
CShake schrieb:

> A new issue I'm finding is that all the uv_mapping textures seem to be
> mirrored in either u or v , so I'm having to go through and scale them
> with a bit of trial and error. I'm assuming this is the fault of the
> exporter not doing the right-handed coordinated (milkshape) to
> left-handed (povray) correctly.
> I'm not holding my breath, but could there be a way of not needing to do
> this by hand, either through scaling the mesh or something? It seems
> that whichever direction is closest to being in-line with z (either u or
> v) needs to be mirrored for the texture to work correctly.

Mirroring the geometry will not help you there; you will need to mirror
either (a) the original texture images, or (b) the textures.

This also has nothing to do with POV-Ray's left-handed world coordinate
system (which is actually just the default, and can be changed by
choosing appropriate camera parameters), but an incompatibility of the
UV coordinate system. As this is clearly defined in POV-Ray and cannot
be changed (except by messing with the textures), it must therefore be
considered a bug in the exporter (unless you're going via an interim
file format in which UV coordinate space is poorly defined).