POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar codes
From: clipka
Date: 15 Oct 2009 10:49:55
Message: <4ad73693$1@news.povray.org>
scott schrieb:

>> What would likely happen is the system would detect the stamp was
>> already used, and kick it back to the sender with "Insufficient
>> Postage" emblazoned across the stamp.
>
> I wonder if they even bother to check them against a database of already
> used/issued ones?  Maybe they just check the checksum?

The German "Post" has a similar system, and they /do/ check it against a
database.

BTW, the German 2D "stamp" barcode even encodes the full destination
address information, which has the benefit (for the "Post") of (a)
rendering the stamp fundamentally un-reusable anyway except for mails to
the same addressee, and (b) making the address even easier machine-readable.