POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions : Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions
From: scott
Date: 15 Oct 2009 02:55:20
Message: <4ad6c758@news.povray.org>
>> The generated .exe is 23KB - I couldn't believe it and had to copy it to
>> my other PC to check it actually worked.
>
> Why wouldn't it work?

IME (from Borland and older MS C++ compilers) when a compiler generates a
GUI-based .exe as small as that something is usually missing that nobody
without the compiler would have installed.

> Because it is a 23KB app but actually depending on a
> huge library on your PC where most of the code would be?
>
> Guess what, it is, and the other PC had it as well ;)

I'm sure in the "old days" I was generating several MB .exe files to be
redistributed, now it seems finally they are putting *just* the code you
wrote in the .exe, and everything else is assumed to be installed already
(ie the .net runtime).  It makes it much more efficient to distribute,
especially when there are frequent updates.