POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: clipka
Date: 14 Oct 2009 23:11:19
Message: <4ad692d7@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   Isn't *all* fiction speculative? If a piece of art is not speculative
> fiction, then it's a documentary (if not outright a historical account).
> Kind of makes the word "speculative" a bit obsolete. Or is there some type
> of fiction other than speculative?

I wouldn't call most pulp fiction "speculative". It usually just tries
to entertain, typically being set in a familiar world, without raising
any questions of "what-if" (i.e. speculate) - unless of course you
include trivial speculations such as "what if this guy now falls in love
with that girl" in that definition.

I wouldn't even consider most whodunits as "speculative", even though
there's inevitably a lot of speculation going on, as those are no
/fundamental/ "what-ifs", and the aim of the story is not to have the
reader /speculate/, but /discover/.