POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bad science fiction : Re: Bad science fiction Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad science fiction
From: Warp
Date: 14 Oct 2009 18:30:50
Message: <4ad6511a@news.povray.org>
> I wouldn't call that SciFi, but I would call it speculative fiction. I
> wouldn't call HP SciFi, but I might call it "speculative fiction",
> speculating on what it might be like if some people could do magic. But we
> already have a name for "speculative fiction about magic", and that's
> Fantasy. We already have a name for "speculative fiction about science and
> technology", and we call that "sci fi". :-)

  Isn't *all* fiction speculative? If a piece of art is not speculative
fiction, then it's a documentary (if not outright a historical account).
Kind of makes the word "speculative" a bit obsolete. Or is there some type
of fiction other than speculative?

  (Of course there are other types of art than just fiction or documentary,
such as philosophical writings or poetry, but I'm not sure I would call them
"fiction", as they fall quite outside the domain.)

--
                                                          - Warp