POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modifying an image_map color? : Re: Modifying an image_map color? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modifying an image_map color?
From: Alain
Date: 14 Oct 2009 15:21:29
Message: <4ad624b9$1@news.povray.org>

> I'm currently doing some rendering of game models by exporting through
> MilkShape, and while the basic textures work fine, I'm having some color
> issues. I've found that in the game itself, the same image can be loaded
> for multiple textures, then multiplied by a solid color to give it a
> different hue/brightness.
>
> Is there any way to do this in povray, without having to manually edit
> the .tga files in gimp/photoshop? (I've converted them from .dds to
> .tga, but could use other formats if it would make it easier). The
> majority are multiplied by a <0.6,0.6,0.6> color which at first glance
> is the same as applying 'diffuse 0.6', except many textures also have
> ambient and this doesn't affect the color of that. Also, some have
> non-gray colors, which I can't do with a simple diffuse statement.
>
> Thanks!
> Cshake
>
> An example of the textures generated by the exporter:
> #declare uvtexture_0 = texture{
>   uv_mapping pigment{
>     image_map{
>       tga "hw_p2_fr1.tga"
>       map_type 0
>       interpolate 2
>       transmit all 0.000000
>     }
>   }
>   finish{
>     ambient rgb <0.200000 0.200000 0.200000>
>     specular 0.100000
>     roughness 0.000781
>   }
> }
If you use that texture in a radiosity scene, you must replace the
ambient by ambient 0. Otherwise, it will actualy illuminate it's
surrounding.

In some cases, you can use a layered texture.
Use a fully transparent uper texture with some transmit or filter, like:
pigment{rgbf <1, 0.5, 0.1, 1>}
This will add an orange cast to the underlying pigment.
You can use a filter or transmit larger than 1 to create some
interesting effect.
You can use a negative filter or transmit. It result in a negative effect.

Alain