POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed : Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NTFS vs. FAT32 defragmenting speed
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Oct 2009 15:05:35
Message: <4ad620ff$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'm really wondering why defragmenting an NTFS partition is so much faster
> than a FAT32 partition.

NTFS has a journal, do you don't have to fsync() every change on every moved
block.  If you crash out during an NTFS defrag, the system can recover by
simply taking a snapshot while you're working, and scanning the snapshot for
used clusters not assigned to a file. Otherwise, moving a file is just a
matter of copying the data, then stuffing the changed file structure blocks
into the journal to be rolled out at leisure.

With FAT, every time you move a file, you have to rewrite both FAT tables
and sync it out in order to insure the space is reserved before you update
the directory, and then clear out the newly-freed space in the FAT table and
sync that out again.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)