POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar codes
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Oct 2009 10:26:00
Message: <4ad5df78$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Also it probably has some checksum, you'd need a shed load of stamps
>>> to figure it out probably.
>>
>> Well, if you were going to reverse-engineer it, sure. But if you could
>> figure out the algorithm...
>
> How are you going to figure out the algorithm without access to lots of
> stamps you know are valid?

I suppose the fatal assumption here is that the encoding of the
information into the barcode is trivial. If these guys are sensible, it
won't be...

>>> A bit like that system on Blu-Ray discs, where every player plays
>>> back a very slightly different version, so when someone rips and
>>> uploads to BitTorrent, they can tell exactly which player it was
>>> ripped from.
>>
>> Really? That's news...
>
> http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/tags/aacs?page=1

Interesting. So the film actually ends a different way depending on
which player you play it with?

I bet that'll be popular...

[But then again, all these copywrite notices and "piracy is stealing"
ads and aggressive copy-protection systems only piss off paying
customers. They have no effect on criminals...]