POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar codes
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Oct 2009 08:47:07
Message: <4ad5c84b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Now I'm thinking... it appears to be a standard Data Matrix barcode,
>> so if I could figure out WTF the data encoded in it is, I could print
>> as many of them as I like, without a fee...
>
> Won't they encode a serial number in there? As soon as they detect a 2nd
> stamp in the system with the same serial number (or with one they know
> they haven't sold yet) there will be trouble.

Yeah, this is probably the main problem. If they know which numbers
they've actually sold and which ones have actually been used, there's
not much you can do.

> Also it probably has some checksum, you'd need a shed load of stamps to
> figure it out probably.

Well, if you were going to reverse-engineer it, sure. But if you could
figure out the algorithm...

It's like Windows license keys. Each one is a 20-character alphanumeric
string. There must be some algorithm that Windows uses to decide whether
the key you just entered is valid. If you somehow knew what that
algorithm is.......

> And hope they don't encode your IP address or payment details in there too.

If you *knew* how they generate the barcode, you could put an arbitrary
IP address in there. (Besides, knowing somebody's IP address doesn't
really tell you a whole heap.) Payment details might be more fun...

> A bit like that system on Blu-Ray discs, where every player plays back a
> very slightly different version, so when someone rips and uploads to
> BitTorrent, they can tell exactly which player it was ripped from.

Really? That's news...