POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open usenet servers? : Re: Open usenet servers? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open usenet servers?
From: scott
Date: 14 Oct 2009 03:44:17
Message: <4ad58151$1@news.povray.org>
> Actually, as a moderator of forums that are available both on the web and
> via NNTP, I dislike the moving of threads (because it doesn't reflect
> through the NNTP side)

Is it impossible to move threads on NNTP?  I guess not if the thread has
already spread around the world...

> or changing the subjects.  That promotes IMHO lazy
> thinking on the part of the users, because they don't have to get it
> right.

On the forum I use you always get a PM from a moderator to say that they
have modified your subject (automatically sent probably), and it includes
guidelines of how to write a useful subject line - ie do not write "Need a
function" in pov.general, but put "Nonlinear spherical-like function needed"
in pov.general.isosurfaces.  It makes it much more pleasant for people
browsing the forums or search results (where only the subject line of each
thread is displayed).

> I prefer to redirect the users and make them do the work, that way the
> next time, they'll think about where to post, even if only to reduce the
> amount of work they have to do.

Yes, that could work too.  Or give them 48 hours to improve the subject text
else they get banned for a while :-D