POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Coloured bulbs : Re: Coloured bulbs Server Time
10 May 2024 03:37:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Coloured bulbs
From: clipka
Date: 13 Oct 2009 23:47:50
Message: <4ad549e6$1@news.povray.org>
William Pokorny schrieb:

> And there is Mr Lipka's new "diffuse-backside illumination" feature in
> beta 34 that might be useful here, but I am still on 33 with my linux compile.

Don't put too high hopes into it. I guess it would work great and easy
if backside illumination also included specular highlights, but it
deliberately doesn't.

You might get acceptable results with this approach though by moving the
interior light source a deal towards the camera.

As for beta.33, double_illuminate will likely do the same trick; the
major difference is that it ignores radiosity and photons (which may
actually be of benefit in this case), and that you cannot control the
intensity of front- vs. backside-illumination, but in this case you can
achieve the same by tweaking the light source intensity.

To control the falloff of the light spot, you can tweak various parameters:

- The light source's offset from the center (zero offset won't do)
- The light source's distance-based falloff
- The brilliance parameter

Yet another, completely different approach would be to use light groups,
placing each bulb in its own light group together with a light source
straight in front of it, to generate a classic highlight.