POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Several textures/pigments on one surface : Re: Several textures/pigments on one surface Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:53:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Several textures/pigments on one surface
From: Alain
Date: 13 Oct 2009 23:09:50
Message: <4ad540fe$1@news.povray.org>

> I've got a surface that I'd like to add multiple textures and/or pigments onto.
> Is there a way I can constrict where a pigment/texture appears?
>
> For example, I've got a cylinder, and I'd like a pattern to appear on one cap,
> with another texture appearing within the first one. Is there a way to control
> the boundaries of where the textures go?

In addition to what others have proposed...

If there is a sharp angle between areas that are to receive a particular
texture and the rest of the object, it may be possible to use the slope
pattern with a texture_map that have abrupt transitions:

texture{
slope{Direction}
texture_map{[0.1 texture End_texture][0.1 texture Body_texture]}
}

A slope from 0.0 to 0.1 will get the "End_texture", all the rest will
get "Body_texture.

This would work best with angular objects.

Another way can be to use an object pattern that use two full textures
instead of the usual pigments. You can then rotate, scale or translate
that pattern to exactly where you want it.

If your object is a complexe CSG object, then you can apply different
pigment/texture/material to some individual part, also giving you a
sharp transition.

Alain