POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bar codes : Re: Bar codes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bar codes
From: clipka
Date: 13 Oct 2009 21:20:03
Message: <4ad52743@news.povray.org>
Invisible schrieb:

> The impressive thing is, as far as I can tell, almost all barcode
> scanners support almost all kinds of barcodes. Even though each coding
> scheme is utterly unrelated to any of the others. God only knows how
> this is physically possible...

Not much magic in there.

Barcodes are designed to have a lot of redundancy, so that reading
errors can be detected.

So a barcode scanner just checks whether the code it just read makes
sense (i.e. check digits match etc.) when interpreted as any of the
codes it supports.

Conflicts seldom occur /because/ the barcodes are so dissimilar. Still,
it is a good idea to configure the scanner to recognize only barcodes
you actually expect to use, especially if you expect to work with
barcodes that may be smudged or otherwise messed up.