POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nice reflective sphere ... : Re: Nice reflective sphere ... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nice reflective sphere ...
From: clipka
Date: 13 Oct 2009 20:42:59
Message: <4ad51e93$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>> That's because the /initial/ definition of the kilogram was one liter of
>> pure water at /zero/ degrees celsius.
>
>   At zero? I don't think so. At zero celsius water freezes, after which one
> litre of it weights a whole lot less than one kilogram.

I was indeed slightly mistaken: The original definition was for water at
the /melting point/, which is a bit above 0 degrees C (something like
0.01 degrees C, IIRC).

>> And yes, a /change/ of 0.003% would be a /tremendous/ catastrophe.
>
>   To what?

To everyone requiring such a precision in /any/ physical unit derived
from the kg.

I already mentioned how small the "drift" of the Prototype is - and yet
scientists are worried about this, so /someone/ seems to be relying on a
precision in that order of magnitude.

And after all, there is no reason whatsoever to redefine the kg in a way
that "breaks backward compatibility": Whatever phyiscal properties you
base it upon, you can always add some factor to the new definition to
make it match the previous definition.