POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A little arithmetic : Re: A little arithmetic Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A little arithmetic
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Oct 2009 10:11:51
Message: <4ad48aa7$1@news.povray.org>
> My laptop is about 150 dpi, can be a bit small to read on occasion, but
> I like having the high resolution.  Mobile phones can have 200+ dpi
> (some even 300 dpi).

The idea is that as you increase the number of pixels on the display,
you increase the number of pixels per character as well, so the apparent
text size doesn't alter, but the clarity does.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any system which actually does this. So
turning up the resolution just makes everything smaller and harder to see...

> Also the fact that you usually don't look at your monitor as closely as
> you read a printed sheet.  The fact that people use mobile phones much
> closer has driven them to higher dpi displays.  For computer monitors
> there is little benefit to going above 100-150 dpi as you simply sit too
> far away to notice any higher.

Well, I've got a sheet of printed paper. The same document appears
somewhat larger on my screen, and yet, holding the paper against the
monitor, the text on the paper is still clearer - despite being smaller.

(Part of this is no doubt due to the screen being emissive while the
paper is reflective, but still...)

> IIRC
> your eye can resolve down to about 1/60 of a degree, so you can do the
> maths...

Apparently 1/60 degree is 1 minute of arc, the sine of which is about
0.0002909. So at 40cm distance, that's... 116.4 um, which is obviously
nonesense.

Damn, I fail trigonometry. :-(