POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A little arithmetic : Re: A little arithmetic Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A little arithmetic
From: scott
Date: 13 Oct 2009 09:58:13
Message: <4ad48775$1@news.povray.org>
> In conclusion, it appears that most if not all current computer monitors
> have a density slightly above or below 100 pixels/inch. That's about tree
> times lower than the crappiest printer.

My laptop is about 150 dpi, can be a bit small to read on occasion, but I
like having the high resolution.  Mobile phones can have 200+ dpi (some even
300 dpi).

> Now, admittedly, for colour images computer screens have the advantage of
> not requiring the halftoning that printers generally require. But for
> black text on a white background, printers win by a mile. (Even including
> the fact that computer screens can do antialias, which is generally a
> waste of time in printed text.)

Also the fact that you usually don't look at your monitor as closely as you
read a printed sheet.  The fact that people use mobile phones much closer
has driven them to higher dpi displays.  For computer monitors there is
little benefit to going above 100-150 dpi as you simply sit too far away to
notice any higher.

It's like those people that buy a 37" 1920x1080 full-HD TV and then sit 10
metres away from it and claim "I don't see any difference".  IIRC your eye
can resolve down to about 1/60 of a degree, so you can do the maths...