POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arguing with government bureaucrats... (rant) : Re: Arguing with government bureaucrats... (rant) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arguing with government bureaucrats... (rant)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 13 Oct 2009 09:16:57
Message: <4ad47dc9$1@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message

> Seriously, bicycling and walking along busy roads generally sucks all
> across the US. What I hate most is when a sidewalk will suddenly end and
> you are forced to have to walk in the grass or across people's lawns.

I really can't complain too much about bicycling in my area.  There aren't
very many paved roads, but the ones that are paved are generally well cared
for.  And if you take time to plan your route, it's not too difficult to
avoid the major roads.  Obviously this section not withstanding.  And that's
what really frustrates me.  Simply crossing the busy road is no longer an
option.

> There's a path I sometimes walk to the doctor's office. 75% of the way
> there's a sidewalk. Until about half way there there are sidewalks on both
> sides. Then, it suddenly switches to only one side (the other side in my
> case) of the road for no reason. At about 3/4 of the way the sidewalk
> stops completely, only to begin again about a 100 yards from the hospital
> (at which point it switches to the other side of the road again!!).
>
> People's yards where there are no sidewalks look like crap from being
> walked over all the time. I don't know why the residents don't decide to
> install sidewalks. Maybe it's to serve as a "negro barrier zone" between
> neighboring, more populated areas.
>
> -Mike

I some, if not most, cities/towns, the sidewalk is the responsibility of the
home-owner.  I've been in places where it cuts out for two yards, then
starts back up, then cuts out, then starts up, then cuts out.

As I said in an earlier post, the US is very car-centric.  In spite of
feigned appreciation for alternative forms of transportation, no one is
really interested.  "Why do we need that?  Don't you have a car?"  And on
that note, I don't ride my bike as a means of transportation.  I ride for
pleasure and exercise, as do most bicyclists.  They probably understand
that, and obviously, that doesn't help my case.