POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open usenet servers? : Re: Open usenet servers? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open usenet servers?
From: scott
Date: 13 Oct 2009 06:17:49
Message: <4ad453cd$1@news.povray.org>
>> 3) They are usually way better organised into sub- and sub-sub-forums,
>> rather than just a huge list of threads
>
> Yeah right.

You obviously visit forums that are badly moderated then, the ones I used a
very well laid out.  Example: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/

> In NNTP, you'd create povray.radiosity.

That would be excellent, we should also have povray.general.lighting,
p.g.textures, p.g.csg, p.g.whatever and the most important point, posts
should be moved if they are made in the wrong group, and the subjects should
be changed if they don't give a good description of the content.  Does this
ever happen in NNTP? No.  Will it ever happen? No.

> In a web forum, there's a
> "The official 'I need help with radiosity' thread" with ten thousand
> posts.

Err, not based on my experience, there would be a "radiosity" sub-forum,
with a few locked stickies and then posts would have meaningful titles and
not generic ones like "i need help".

>> 6) "Sticky" threads always appear at the top of the list with things like
>> the FAQ and anything else related to the subject
>
> Wrong tool for the job. Get a wiki!

Sure, some stickies might link to a wiki, but in NNTP you can't have
stickies.  Actually you could post with a date 20 years in the future, but
that would depend on how each user has their client set up.