POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Several textures/pigments on one surface : Re: Several textures/pigments on one surface Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:57:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Several textures/pigments on one surface
From: Chris B
Date: 13 Oct 2009 03:43:07
Message: <4ad42f8b$1@news.povray.org>
"Jovian Ghost" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4ad3ea18e8a97d86683b0b960@news.povray.org...
> I've got a surface that I'd like to add multiple textures and/or pigments
> onto.
> Is there a way I can constrict where a pigment/texture appears?
>
> For example, I've got a cylinder, and I'd like a pattern to appear on one
> cap,
> with another texture appearing within the first one. Is there a way to
> control
> the boundaries of where the textures go?

Yes. There are quite a few approaches you could take to do this type of
thing.

To get a clean pattern on the end without it bleeding through into the rest
of the object, you can start with a cylinder that is a tiny amount longer
than needed and slice the extra off with a CSG operation. You can then apply
a texture to the cutting object which will end up on the cut surface without
affecting any other surfaces.

You can then use either layered textures or a texture_map to control which
bits of texture go where on the cutting object. You can layer textures by
simply specifying a succession of textures for an object, where upper layers
have some transparent patches, so that the lower layers are visible in those
places. Texture maps allow you to define a pattern where you can transition
smoothly or sharply between different textures. For example, you could use
the onion pattern in a texture map to create concentric rings of different
textures, specifying a marble texture in the middle, transitioning to a
crackle texture around the outside.

Regards,
Chris B.