POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inspect DLL : Re: Inspect DLL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inspect DLL
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Oct 2009 16:19:53
Message: <4ad38f69$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> ...see a pattern yet?
>>
>> Yes. It means Sun is too stupid to even know what a "GUID" is.
>
> This was my conclusion also.
>
> Surely the correct behaviour would be to register a single interface and
> give it a "do you support this API version?" method...
>
>>> Next time you install some program and it says "registering
>>> components" or "writing registry keys", this is what it's doing. It's
>>> registering millions of COM ClassIDs!
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Heh. I lost count of how many Office-related DLLs are in there. There's,
> like, A LOT!

You sure you don't have "older" versions still installed too? When you
update the JRE it tends to leave prior versions, as a "just in case your
program requires some bug that was only in 1.3.0_03, but got fixed
later. I had to go back and manual uninstall like 4-5 of these, to free
up space on my HD. I stupidly installed them in C:, and didn't realize
at the time that the small size of that was going to produce bad
results, or that Sun didn't "replace" the install, instead of just
installing a new one.

Still, you get a bit of some of that with MS too, just not as much. In
principle, the version isn't relevant, only if the function is there,
and yes, if you do need a version, the sane solution is to ask if there
is an interface that is backward compatible to it in there some place.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {