POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions : Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visual C# .net (and XNA) first impressions
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Oct 2009 14:56:31
Message: <4ad37bdf$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   What do you mean? Ever heard of the nameless namespace? Everything in
> a nameless namespace is local to that source file and definitely not part
> of the public interface of that module. (In fact, there's no way of
> accessing anything inside a nameless namespace from another source file.)

You can't make a private method on a class without exposing that in the
header, can you?  (If so, I've been doing it wrong. :-)

>   Also an inner class doesn't have to be declared in the public interface
> (only its name has to be pre-declared, but that's not very helpful from
> the outside).

You're still exposing its existance in the header file, meaning you get to
recompile stuff, for example. 0

>   Btw, I really don't see a lot of difference between fancy source editor
> features and a public interface generator. In both cases you need some fancy
> external program to help you clarify the source code.

You don't need such a tool in C# any more than you need a tool to generate
the .h files for you in C++.

However, since C# makes the "makefile" structure part of the language, it's
possible to write tools that extract equivalent documentation from C# that
you can't as easily write in a portable way for C++.  I.e., even if you have
a complete C++ parser, now you need a whole lot of extra stuff to understand
*which* header files go with *which* source files when you're trying to
parse C++.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)