POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arguing with government bureaucrats... (rant) : Arguing with government bureaucrats... (rant) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Arguing with government bureaucrats... (rant)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 12 Oct 2009 14:09:46
Message: <4ad370ea$1@news.povray.org>
...is like winning the special olympics.

I'm retarded.

I've been down this road before, so I certainly knew what to expect.  But
every once in awhile, it would be nice to be surprised.  But instead, it
always seems to be an excercise in futility and frustration.

In an earlier post, I mentioned the installation of a "Michigan Left Turn"
on a major roadway in my area, and how it essentially makes it impossible
for a bicycle to cross the road.  So, instead of just griping to my friends
and other bicyclists, I decided to actually email the Michigan Department of
Transportation (and subsequently gripe here too.  ;-) ).

"What is a Michigan Left Turn?"
http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/michigan_left.html

The difference in this case is that the cross-traffic portion has been
completely eliminated.  Where there used to be a place to directly cross the
road, whether by foot, automobile, or bicycle, there is now only a ditch. To
get across the road, you need to turn right, travel 1/4 mile, turn left,
travel 1/4 mile, then turn right. They have done studies that show that this
cuts down on automobile accidents, and whether that's true or not, I don't
argue that with them.  In my discussion, I tried several different ways of
making the point that they have eliminated a safe passage for bicyclists and
pedestrians.  Their response?  "...given the high traffic counts and traffic
speeds I am not aware of any safe way to have an at grade pedestrians
crossing. In the absence of non-motorized pathways bicycles are expected to
use the roadway as motorist vehicles do."  How about a path in the median of
the road?  Like there used to be before it was replaced with a ditch?

So now bicyclists are expected to pedal down a busy road, in traffic, for
1/4 mile in each direction, on a road that they admit isn't even safe for a
pedestrian to walk across.  If you're a 15 year-old boy, are you going to
take the direct (through the ditch) route, or travel 1/2 mile out of your
way?

Sigh...