POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting copyright violation statistics : Re: Interesting copyright violation statistics Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:47:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting copyright violation statistics
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Oct 2009 12:23:45
Message: <4ad35811@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> What country is it that has links to copyrighted material being illegal?
>
>   The USA, among others. See for example

http://www.elawfacts.com/2008/10/contributory-copyright-infringment-and-illegal-linking/

Huh. OK.  I'm not sure that linking to something you don't know is
copyrighted is indeed "contributory infringement". This is more aimed at
people like The Pirate Bay than people emailing a link to a cool youtube video.

> - Suppose you embed a completely legal youtube video into your website. Then
> some time later the author of that video *changes* it to contain copyrighted
> material (AFAIK that's perfectly possible in youtube), and you never notice.
> Does your embedding become retractively illegal?

I think you could argue that the person who changed the video is the one
contributing to copyright violation there.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)