POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Inspect DLL : Re: Inspect DLL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inspect DLL
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Oct 2009 10:09:13
Message: <4ad33889$1@news.povray.org>
>> I found several other DLLs which apparently export... absolutely
>> nothing. (Why do they exist then?)
>
> A DLL need not export its functions by name.

But wouldn't that mean that there's no way to reach its functions?
(Unless you happen to know the exact base address - which will change in
the next version of the DLL...)

>> Some DLLs for highly complex tasks appear to export a tiny amount of
>> stuff, so clearly there's something I'm not seeing.
>
> A COM-based DLL need only expose a single function, one that returns a
> COM interface pointer. The complex stuff is then reached through that
> interface.

I was under the (mistaken?) impression that COM methods are exported as
DLL functions, and the COM system runs on top of the underlying DLL
infrastructure.

> Not all DLLs are COM servers.

Indeed.

And even the ones that are don't actually need to be registered; just
the ones that lots of people might want to find by ClassID. You can
access a COM server by its file path instead...

> I don’t even see the code anymore; all I see now is blonde, brunette,
> redhead...

WIN!