POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie needs help with first project : Re: Newbie needs help with first project Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie needs help with first project
From: Chris B
Date: 12 Oct 2009 03:21:28
Message: <4ad2d8f8$1@news.povray.org>
"Jovian Ghost" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.4ad28cda6c73c7c683b0b960@news.povray.org...
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>> You can achieve similar results
>> using less points by using a cubic spline, but then you'll need to deploy
>> bit of mental effort to add the necessary control points at the start and
>> end of the spline.
>
> In my understand is correct, your Inkscape method describes creating a
> curved
> line with a lot of straight lines.
> I would prefer to use curved splines if I can.

You can certainly use a curved spline with this method (cubic, quadratic or
natural when defining a spline function). Using a curved spline should mean
you can define a smooth curve using fewer points than with the liear spline
type, though you will still need enough additional points to avoid the sort
of kinks that you mentioned earlier.

Using a curved spline will mean that, once you've got the spline across into
POV-Ray, you'll need to define a few control points at the start and end by
hand so that the end of the spline with join smoothly onto the start of the
spline.

Regards,
Chris B.