POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting copyright violation statistics : Re: Interesting copyright violation statistics Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting copyright violation statistics
From: Warp
Date: 11 Oct 2009 16:20:53
Message: <4ad23e23@news.povray.org>
> What country is it that has links to copyrighted material being illegal?

  The USA, among others. See for example
http://www.elawfacts.com/2008/10/contributory-copyright-infringment-and-illegal-linking/

  The embedded youtube example has another twist:

- Suppose you embed a completely legal youtube video into your website. Then
some time later the author of that video *changes* it to contain copyrighted
material (AFAIK that's perfectly possible in youtube), and you never notice.
Does your embedding become retractively illegal?

- One could argue that it's your fault for not checking regularly the videos
you are embedding. However, assume you embedded it on some web forum post
which you cannot change afterwards. (I don't know if any actual web forum
disallows editing your own posts, but it's at least theoretically completely
possible.)

> How about where you are? Is it more enlightened?

  I have to confess I don't know the specifics here either. There is the
concept of imprisonment because of debts, but I'm not acquainted with the
details of when this is the case.

--
                                                          - Warp