POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Oct 2009 13:32:24
Message: <4ad216a8$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Note that I'm interpreting the grammatical construct "unbounded memory
> tape" to read "unbounded thing called a memory tape", not "tape
> constituting an unbounded [amount of] memory"; your interpretation may
> differ.

Given the mathematical definition of the memory tape in a TM, this
interpretation makes no sense. Everyone says "unbounded tape" because that
implies "unbounded amount of storage" given how the tape is defined. (I.e.,
it's defined as having one end as well as operations to move left and right.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)