POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:53:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: clipka
Date: 10 Oct 2009 16:58:07
Message: <4ad0f55f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> Darren New schrieb:
>>> clipka wrote:
>>>
>>>  > as it requires an infinitely long memory tape
>>>
>>> No it doesn't. It only requires an unbounded memory tape. There's a huge
>>> difference.
>
>> There is a huge difference indeed, and that's why you're mistaken. A
>> loop of memory tape would also fit the bill of "unbounded"; however, it
>> doesn't do for a true Turing machine.
>
>   A loop of memory tape does not, in fact, provide an unbounded amount
> of memory. It provides a finite, fixed amount of memory, hence very
> definitely not unbounded.

Note that there is a difference between an "unbounded amount of memory",
and an "unbounded memory tape": In the former case we're talking about
an absence of limit in quantity, in the latter we're talking about a
topological property.

Note that I'm interpreting the grammatical construct "unbounded memory
tape" to read "unbounded thing called a memory tape", not "tape
constituting an unbounded [amount of] memory"; your interpretation may
differ.