POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hopido : Re: Hopido Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hopido
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Oct 2009 15:18:10
Message: <4ad0ddf2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>> game doesn't sell eg. on the PC, but it does sell on the iPhone.
>
>> Popcaps ported Bejeweled to the XBox360. I wonder how much that sort of
>> arcade came can earn.
>
>   A game like bejeweled is in a bit different category of casual games,
> and requires quite a lot more work.
>
>   I'm not saying that Hopido wouldn't sell if implemented for the Xbox360.
> But it would be, effectively, writing a completely new program almost from
> scratch (the puzzle data can be shared among the two projects, but that's
> about it).

Sure. I just wondered how much an arcade game like that pulls, compared to
(say) bioshock or GTA or something.  If it's 1/100th the work for 1/50th the
income...  Stuff like Bioshock, you can probably reuse a huge amount of the
infrastructure when porting it - most of the AI, most of the models and
artwork and voice acting and sound effects and level design... But then you
have to create all that to start with.

Why do you say bejeweled is a different category of casual games? It seems
like it would need even *less* work, as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot
of thinking going into the puzzles (at least on standard bejeweled). Maybe
the random results aren't as random as one would think?  This higher levels
seem "harder", but that could be my imagination or something.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)