POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pretty cool stuff for professional programmers : Re: Pretty cool stuff for professional programmers Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pretty cool stuff for professional programmers
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Oct 2009 13:15:57
Message: <4ad0c14d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I myself am quite fond of putting assert()s everywhere where it makes
> sense. That has helped me catch tons of bugs which would have otherwise
> been quite laborious to find later.

Me too. I think what I understood the articles to be saying is that this is
very helpful, but only if you are experienced enough to use the right assert()s.

>   Another thing which I cannot stress enough is the importance of developing,
> if possible (ie. if the program/library type is suitable for it), an
> automatic regression testing program.

Sadly, the vast majority of my work these last few years is completely
antithetic to this sort of testing.

I did this even for programs running off floppies in 64K, where I'd save
inputs and outputs, and if the input no longer generated the same output,
I'd manually eyeball it to see if the change I just made should have created
that output, and if so, save the new output.  That was helpful.

>   One project where I have done this is with my function parser library.

Some programs lend themselves to that, some don't.

Did you do this with Hopido?  What parts could you test?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)