POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hopido : Re: Hopido Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hopido
From: Warp
Date: 9 Oct 2009 11:18:27
Message: <4acf5443@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> It looks very slick, is it a totally new game concept or is there another
> version somewhere for the PC I can try out? (I don't have an iPhone)

  The puzzle concept itself is not original, but using different shapes for
the puzzles (other than just plain squares) is probably a somewhat unique
variant (or at least we couldn't find such an idea implemented before).

> How much work did it take for the coding? What was the hardest part?

  You would be surprised how much coding such a thing requires. Of course
a completely basic and ascetic pre-alpha proto (which has nothing else than
the board view and its basic playing functionality) can be programmed in one
day, but the whole game we released requires quite a lot more. Just as an
example, the puzzle icons in the puzzle selection view (that view with all
the "scrolls" with the shapes of the puzzles as black dots) are generated
programmatically from the puzzle data (saves disk space and it's very flexible
because when new puzzles are added or existing removed from the puzzle data,
the contents of the puzzle selection view are automatically updated at
runtime, so there's no need to create any icons for each puzzle). A separate
puzzle designer and solver (I made it for Windows) was also necessary, which
also required its own amount of work.

  I'm not sure what would have been the hardest part. I suppose that since
this was the first time I do anything for the iPhone, the most laborious
part was learning Objective-C++ and Cocoa Touch.

--
                                                          - Warp