POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Andrew, anyone under 30, do you know any nursery rhymes? : Re: Andrew, anyone under 30, do you know any nursery rhymes? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Andrew, anyone under 30, do you know any nursery rhymes?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Oct 2009 17:29:37
Message: <4ace59c1$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen schrieb:

>>> "The doctor nearly fainted"
>>> Scans better to me :)
>> No, as for rhythm the midwife version is much better.
>
> You must be translating it. There is no rhyme (at the end of the lines). "And
> the midwife fainted." Sounds "clunky" and a conversation stopper to me.

I guess you're referring to that "missig" syllable that should be there
between the two lines if the basic verse metric was applied slavishly,
as is the case for the "doctor" version.

Which is exactly the problem I have with that version: It keeps the
rhythm, but it also strictly separates the sentences (without any
conjoining "and", "but" or whatever in between), without allowing to
take a breath, as would be warranted by such a construction. Such a
"semi-dramatic" pause also helps to create a moment of suspense before
breaking the story with the punchline.

In other words: I find the degree of "clunkyness" of the "midwife"
version perfectly fitting.

(Granted, if you'd actually intend to make a full poem out of it and
continue after that sentence, the "doctor" version would be more fitting.)

 > A bit
> like;
>
> BEAUTIFUL Railway Bridge of the Silvery Tay !
> With your numerous arches and pillars in so grand array
> And your central girders, which seem to the eye
> To be almost towering to the sky.
> The greatest wonder of the day,
> And a great beautification to the River Tay,
> Most beautiful to be seen,
> Near by Dundee and the Magdalen Green.

Maybe that's why it collapsed in 1879 ;-)

Maybe it's a song though; in that case you can get away with much
weirder flaws of rhythm.