POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open usenet servers? : Re: Open usenet servers? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open usenet servers?
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2009 13:18:45
Message: <4ace1ef5$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> 4) Moderators often move, merge or delete threads that are put in the
> wrong place, or ask already-asked questions.  This makes
> searching/browsing much easier

Unless you find it via google and the only answer is "I moved this into the
proper forum" without any indication of what the proper forum is or where it
linked to.

>>  With usenet you don't need any accounts and passwords,
> Which means lots of spam.

Not really. It used to be that there was a lot of spam, then someone wrote
code to cancel spam based on how often and how widely it had been posted
(i.e., regardless of content). Then someone took that and abused it to
silence people they didn't like. Then ISPs stopped paying attention to
cancel messages due to that, and the spam came back.

> And then be told to read the group's FAQ (how are you meant to know
> where that is beforehand?)

Because it's cached on the server, just like in a forum. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)