POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open usenet servers? : Re: Open usenet servers? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open usenet servers?
From: clipka
Date: 8 Oct 2009 12:17:28
Message: <4ace1098$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>> In the end I just gave up, the groups I frequented died out as people moved
>> to web-based forums
>
>   Why do people do that?

I'd guess it's primarily not so much an issue of people actively
/moving/ from usenet to web-based forums, but rather /new/ folks never
moving to usenet in the first place (heck, who of the newest generation
of internet users /knows/ about usenet anyway?), and nobody replenishing
the user base of usenet. So it's "Fading away".

>   This trend of everything going to WWW just sucks. Most internet users
> don't actually know that there's something *else* than WWW out there.

Exactly. But for them it doesn't suck, because they don't know better.

There's also some benefit to it, too: You don't need different
/software/ to access it. All you need is your web browser.