POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Oct 2009 04:57:58
Message: <4acda996@news.povray.org>
>> Well, THAT explains why the hell I can't even say his name out loud,
>> never mind spell it. :-P
>
> as for pronunciation try dike-strah.

Interesting. DJ seemed to think the K was silent.

>> Apparently he was quite clever though. I only know about him because
>> he apparently invented an algorithm for turning a series of expression
>> tokens into an actual expression tree...
>
> You should also know him because I mentioned him a few times here. He
> did a lot of work in concurrent programming (e.g. the P and V
> operation). IIRC he (or his team) implemented the first interrupt
> routines. He did a lot on designing programs from specification. Many of
> the algorithms he is most commonly known for were originally just
> examples of how to derive a program from a specification. You need more
> proof that thinking about your algorithm and documenting it might lead
> to new insights?

Actually, now I think about it, I do vaguely recall looking him up on
Wikipedia. Wasn't he one of those Ivory Tower theorists who thought that
you can actually specify what a program is supposed to do
mathematically, and then formally prove that the program you wrote does it?