POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open usenet servers? : Re: Open usenet servers? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open usenet servers?
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 7 Oct 2009 18:56:50
Message: <4acd1cb2$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/07/09 12:28, Warp wrote:
> scott<sco### [at] scottcom>  wrote:
>> In the end I just gave up, the groups I frequented died out as people moved
>> to web-based forums
>
>    Why do people do that?

	SPAM SPAM SPAM.

	And archives.

	And moderation.

	The only benefit of newsgroups is the ability to use your client of
choice.

	Also, when my university dropped USENET newsgroups, they had a really
good explanation. The way newsgroups are structured, it takes a lot of
maintenance on the university's side to keep the connection up and reliable.

>    With usenet you don't need any accounts and passwords, and you can
> subscribe to "forums" with any topic in existence, and use them all
> with the same program without having to jump between any web pages.

	True. Which also lets me pose as you.

>    With web-based forums you have numerous completely different forums
> with different addresses, you need an account and password for each one
> of them.

	True in reality, but need not be the case in principle. The web forum
folks never came up with a common protocol.

	As with all the others, I do agree that web forums suck. But the wild
west attitude of USENET newsgroups make them suck.

	The best system I ever worked with was the various BBS networks
(Fidonet, etc). Much better than USENET, much better than web groups,
much better than mailing lists...

--
"Modem," said the gardener when he'd finished the lawn...