POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My chickens and the cost of cheap food : Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Date: 7 Oct 2009 13:13:11
Message: <4acccc27$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
> That extra water?  Ice from when it's frozen, most likely.

When chickens are processed in an industrial setup, they are mechanically
eviscerated.  This leads to a large quantity of fecal matter ending up on
the inside of the chicken.  So, to fix that, they are hosed and bathed in a
chlorine bath for a few hours, where they also cool down with a whole bunch
of other chickens.  As you can imagine, the carcasses at the bottom of the
chill tank are probably pretty nasty.  When you smell a chicken from the
store, there is an odd smell to it that's just not present on my chickens.
I'm guessing it's the chlorine.

My processor eviscerates by hand, then drops them into the chill tank.  He
doesn't get feces on the chicken to begin with.  If I had it my way, they
would be air-chilled, but I can't get everything I want.  When I pick them
up in the evening, they're all bagged and cold.