POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My chickens and the cost of cheap food : Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My chickens and the cost of cheap food
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 7 Oct 2009 12:07:53
Message: <4accbcd9$1@news.povray.org>
It's nice to hear about this.

Some years ago I participated in a EU-funded project aiming at creating
educational material for "young" (read: new) organic farmers. The project
was an epic disaster due to poor management but at least the texts we
produced were OK: see the attached file for the texts about poultry. Note
that this is for true organic farming according to the stringent EU
regulations, but there may be a couple of interesting ideas there.

Organic livestock farming is indeed difficult. It's generally more work and
the resulting product is more expensive due to longer production cycles.
With true organic livestock, it is very hard to feed and treat animals and
get as much milk/eggs/meat as in non-organic farming. In French
supermarkets, prices for organic chicken are 2 to 3 times higher than for
"standard" chicken ("Label" and certified chickens are expensive too, but
less so). One solution is selling directly to customers: a colleague of mine
just quit his job to become an organic sheep farmer (lamb meat). He
advertises on local open markets and has a few dozens of customers in a
30-km radius (IIRC) that he knows personally. Because there is no middlemen
his prices are actually attractive compared to supermarkets. Of course this
is for lamb and I don't know how it works in poultry (and I hope he's got
his business model well figured out...).

G.

message de news: 4accab1f@news.povray.org...
> Since I started raising and selling chickens, I've become more and more
> aware of the so-called "industrial food system" in the U.S.  While I don't
> really want to use this forum as a place to opine on the nature (and
> horrors) of factory farms in the U.S., I do believe that there is a
> difference in the quality of the food produced.  Most of the people that
> buy
> chickens from us (we raised 300 chickens this year), do it because they
> also
> believe there is a difference.  Honestly, not too long ago, I was probably
> among those who thought "chicken is chicken and only hippies and
> tree-huggers believe in organics."  Ok, perhaps much of the organic food
> market is hippies and tree-huggers, but that doesn't necessarily mean they
> are wrong.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'poultry_uk.zip' (40 KB)