POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Oct 2009 11:15:17
Message: <4accb085$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 13:38:02 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>
>> andrel wrote:
>>> another example of how the Americans have destroyed a culture.
>> Hey, you want to be able to spell properly, *you* invent computers. ;-)
>
> Now here's me thinking that it was the Brits who invented the first modern
> (programmable) computer. With the Bombe being built at Bletchley Park.

And what language do you think the *Brits* speak?  Hint: Not Dutch. ;-)

While the Brits invented the first computers, I'm pretty sure the whole text
processing aspect (and in particular the ASCII I'm guessing you're
complaining about) was happening in the USA.  Not that EBCDIC had an ij
ligature in it either.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)