POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 4096 pixel challenge! [image attached] : Re: 4096 pixel challenge! [ANSWER KEY] Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4096 pixel challenge! [ANSWER KEY]
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Oct 2009 05:25:58
Message: <4acc5ea6$1@news.povray.org>
> #1 - Christoph Hormann - The Eye
> http://hof.povray.org/images/the_eye.jpg

Never seen it.

> #2 - Nathan G B O'Brien - Arch
> http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/old-competition/competition-Oct-95/arch.jpg

Never seen it.

> #3 - Jean-Marie Haerens and Fabien Mosen - Roger, Gary, and Bob
> http://hof.povray.org/images/3b.jpg

Never seen it.

> #4 - Gilles Tran - The Wet Bird
> http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/mouille.jpg
>
> March-April 2001 IRTC Winner, in addition to possibly being the
> best-known povray image ever.

Failed miserably to recognise it, despite expecting it to be present
somewhere. (As I say, the colours looked wrong, and several other
details seemed incorrect.)

> #5 - H.E. Day - Drunk Patrol
> http://hof.povray.org/images/8b.jpg

I remember this one well; just not the particular detail you cropped out.

> #6 - Mark Slone - Innocent Shadow
> http://hof.povray.org/images/ishadow.jpg

Never seen it.

> #7 - Mick Hazelgrove - The Preacher
> http://hof.povray.org/images/4b.jpg

Only seen it briefly - not well enough to really remember.

> #8 - Gilles Tran - The Construction Workers
> http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/creation.jpg

Interesting how cropping it makes it look like the worker is facing the
other way...

> #9 - Douglas Eichenberg - Victoria's World
> http://hof.povray.org/images/victoria.jpg

Never seen this - which is surprising, because it's really damned good.

> #10 - Nicholas DePetrillo (self attributed) - AWSOME ROLEX WATCH!

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C371e9151.0@news.povray.org%3E/rolexfr.jpg

Never seen it.

> Ever
> since the phrase "AWSOME ROLEX" has come to mean an image which wasn't
> actually created with povray, despite the claims of the author.

I never knew that...

> #11 - Jaime Vives Piqueres - Always Running, Never the Same
> http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-10-31/running.jpg
>
> September-October 1998 IRTC Winner.  It's also served as the povray
> splash screen.

I recognised this. :-D

> #12 - Gilles Tran - The Big Fight
> http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/joute_1993.jpg

Never seen it.

> #13 - Norbert Kern - Boreal
> http://hof.povray.org/images/Boreal_big.jpg

Now I'm puzzled. The (very grainy) image clearly contains red, yet I
can't find any red anywhere in the source image.

> #14 - Sean Day - Natural History Museum
> http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2004-12-31/nhm.jpg

I was right!

> #15 - Samuel Benge - Techno Garb
> http://hof.povray.org/images/800x600/c_a_large.jpg

And again. :-D

> #16 - Johnny Yip - The Last Guardian
> http://hof.povray.org/images/guardian.jpg

And that's a hatrick.

> #17 - Gilles Tran - The Cubicle Workers
> http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/comptoir.jpg

Mmm, I'd forgotten about this one...

> #18 - Jamie McCarter - Night Club Gallimimus' Warming Up
> http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/old-competition/competition-Feb-95/jmwarmup.jpg

Never seen it.

> #19 - Rob Strickland - Chain Reaction
> http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1997-06-30/chainrea.jpg

Never seen it.

> #20 - N.B. and Glenn McCarter - First Strike at Pearl Harbor
> http://hof.povray.org/images/7b.jpg

I had a feeling this might be it. I should have written that down...