POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 4096 pixel challenge! [image attached] : Re: 4096 pixel challenge! [ANSWER KEY] Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4096 pixel challenge! [ANSWER KEY]
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 7 Oct 2009 05:10:13
Message: <4acc5af5$1@news.povray.org>
Ok, here are the answers!  In some cases I've linked to a higher
resolution image than the 64x64 block was extracted from.

----------

#1 - Christoph Hormann - The Eye
http://hof.povray.org/images/the_eye.jpg

----------

#2 - Nathan G B O'Brien - Arch
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/old-competition/competition-Oct-95/arch.jpg

Entrant in the October 1995 IRTC (theme: architecture) and an old
favorite of mine from back in the day.  This is clearly one of the
tricky ones, probably too tricky in retrospect.

----------

#3 - Jean-Marie Haerens and Fabien Mosen - Roger, Gary, and Bob
http://hof.povray.org/images/3b.jpg

July-August 1998 IRTC Winner (theme: Elements)

----------

#4 - Gilles Tran - The Wet Bird
http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/mouille.jpg

March-April 2001 IRTC Winner, in addition to possibly being the
best-known povray image ever.

----------

#5 - H.E. Day - Drunk Patrol
http://hof.povray.org/images/8b.jpg

Came in second in the March-April 2000 IRTC (theme: The City)

H.E. Day had the bad luck of submitting this image to the same round of
the IRTC that Gilles Tran's Wet Bird image was submitted to.
Competition was rather stiff that round.  Another nice image of his was
edged out *again* by Gilles Tran in the March-April 2001 round.  In fact
#20 on this list (not by Gilles Tran this time) had previously knocked
him into second place in the November-December 1998 round.  I don't
think he ever won the IRTC, which is quite a shame since he has some of
the most memorable povray images out there -- just bad timing on which
rounds to compete in I suppose.

----------

#6 - Mark Slone - Innocent Shadow
http://hof.povray.org/images/ishadow.jpg

November-December 2002 IRTC winner (theme: Frozen Moment)

----------

#7 - Mick Hazelgrove - The Preacher
http://hof.povray.org/images/4b.jpg

January-February 2001 IRTC winner (theme: Worship)

----------

#8 - Gilles Tran - The Construction Workers
http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/creation.jpg

I couldn't find a place to cut the snipped that made this anything other
than nearly impossible, but I included it anyway since I knew a
backstory for it and, hey, you can't have them all be easy.

Backstory: My memory is a bit hazy here, but I *think* this is the
correct story behind this image.  Back in the day 'Uncle' Ken Tyler used
to respond to posts so quickly at seemingly any time of day or night
that people eventually began to figure that he had to be some sort of
cyborg of full-on AI to achieve it.  After his birthday an initial draft
of this image was made to symbolize the construction of the Ken Tyler AI.

I believe we knew when his birthday was because we actually kept a list
of the birthdays of the most active Pov users -- pretty cool!

EDIT:  Looks like my memory served me well, here's the original thread:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C371E0BC9.2F8F1927@inapg.inra.fr%3E/

By pure coincidence this happened just one day before Nicholas
DePetrillo posted the infamous "AWSOME ROLEX" image to the same
newsgroup (see #10).

----------

#9 - Douglas Eichenberg - Victoria's World
http://hof.povray.org/images/victoria.jpg

Tied for 4th in POVCOMP 2004, one of my personal favorites.

----------

#10 - Nicholas DePetrillo (self attributed) - AWSOME ROLEX WATCH!
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C371e9151.0@news.povray.org%3E/rolexfr.jpg

Backstory:  Ok, I lied a bit, only 19 of those images were made with
povray.  Nicholas DePetrillo posted this image which he claimed to have
made in a rather irritating post consisting of far too many mispelled
words and capital letters.  This was a few days after he posted some
renderings of an ocean which he seemed very reluctant to give details on
the creation of other than that they involved a lot of very complicated
math.

It didn't take too long for people to find proof that he'd stolen both
of these from other websites and neither was made with povray.  Ever
since the phrase "AWSOME ROLEX" has come to mean an image which wasn't
actually created with povray, despite the claims of the author.

You can read the original thread here:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C371e9151.0@news.povray.org%3E/

----------

#11 - Jaime Vives Piqueres - Always Running, Never the Same
http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-10-31/running.jpg

September-October 1998 IRTC Winner.  It's also served as the povray
splash screen.

----------

#12 - Gilles Tran - The Big Fight
http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/joute_1993.jpg

A very early Gilles Tran piece from 1993.  He also did a remake of this
picture in 2001:

http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/joute_2001.jpg

----------

#13 - Norbert Kern - Boreal
http://hof.povray.org/images/Boreal_big.jpg

The bird in the picture is subtle, but IIRC it's the only use of red in
the whole image.

----------

#14 - Sean Day - Natural History Museum
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2004-12-31/nhm.jpg

November-December 2004 IRTC technical merit honorable mention (theme:
Museum)

----------

#15 - Samuel Benge - Techno Garb
http://hof.povray.org/images/800x600/c_a_large.jpg

Modeled using a cellular automaton.

----------

#16 - Johnny Yip - The Last Guardian
http://hof.povray.org/images/guardian.jpg

Special award: Won first place in POVCOMP 2004, and Johnny Yip for a
very sweet workstation worth $10,000 for it.

----------

#17 - Gilles Tran - The Cubicle Workers
http://www.oyonale.com/images/3D/comptoir.jpg

One of my old favorite Gilles Tran pieces, from 1997.

----------

#18 - Jamie McCarter - Night Club Gallimimus' Warming Up
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/old-competition/competition-Feb-95/jmwarmup.jpg

Winner of the February 1995 IRTC (theme: music)

I love this quote from the associated text file:

"After creating the entire scene I gave it to PoV to render.  Then,
after 5 minutes of parsing, I found my 16 megs of ram wasn't enough.  So
I created a 20 meg swap file, and ended up running out of memory again.
  So I upped it to 50 megs.  I then ran out of symbols.  So I upped
those.  I then ran out of #declares.  Unfortunately, PoV v2.2 doesn't
allow this to be increased, so I had to manually optimize all 3 megs of
the data file, carefully rearranging the data to remove the declares!
(programmers: hint here for a nifty little utility.  Write me.)  Once I
had worked out the declare problem I gave the data to PoV and sat back
for more than 5 days while it rendered. (Yes, I do have bounding boxes
intelligently placed)"

Makes me appreciate how comparatively awesomely powerful computers are
these days.

#19 - Rob Strickland - Chain Reaction
http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1997-06-30/chainrea.jpg

May-June 1997 IRTC winner (theme: Physics & Math)

I believe he had to hack motion blur into Povray just for this image.

#20 - N.B. and Glenn McCarter - First Strike at Pearl Harbor
http://hof.povray.org/images/7b.jpg

November-December 1998 IRTC winner (theme: First Encounter)