POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bang : Re: Bang Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bang
From: clipka
Date: 6 Oct 2009 17:05:55
Message: <4acbb133$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 schrieb:
>>> Isn't that like claiming an "entry-level particle accelerator" is not
>>> "special equipment"? :-P
>>
>> Mm, New from Fischer-Price: My First Particle accelerator: Comes with
>> everything needed to build your very own proton accelerator in you own
>> home. Comes complete with 15MW generators, bubble chamber, and a
>> large-scale farm of analysis computers and data collection equipment.
>> Be the first on your block to discover the enigmatic Higgs Boson.

I'd guess though that at a university with a strong natural science
branch, they wouldn't call their own local particle accelerator "special
equipment" - because there's actually not much magic in, say, a
Van-de-Graaf- or even a Tandem accelerator, let alone a small Cyclotron,
and a university might well be capable to "DIY" such a thing if they set
their mind to it. (The basic technology has been around since the '30s
of the last century.)

What they /will/ call "special equipment" are probably all the
accessories: Sputter (ion) sources, particle detectors, data analysis
electronics and stuff like that; and they'll be very proud of each of
those thingumajigs they produced themselves. (At Cologne university, for
instance, they develop their own signal processing hardware, including
custom ASICs; they also tried to roll their own detector crystals, but
failed...)