POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's XKCD .. : Re: Today's XKCD .. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's XKCD ..
From: clipka
Date: 6 Oct 2009 16:02:05
Message: <4acba23d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 schrieb:

> David Jones. (Yes, that was his name.) Today we'd probably all call him
> Davy Jones. Which would probably puzzle the hell out of him.
>
> He was one of the lecturers at college.

Wait - is that "David Jones" as in "David E.H. Jones", aka "Daedalus"?

When I was a kid, there was a kind of scientific quiz show on German TV
where a school class would compete with their (non-natural-science)
teachers to explain entertaining physical (or sometimes chemical)
experiments. That David Jones guy was a regular guest "experimentor" on
the show (spoke quite a good German, except for his notoriously hoarse
voice).

As "Daedalus", he also wrote about some "crazy" ideas that stuck in my
mind, such as the "anti-greenhouse".

 > If you want to know about the
> binomial theorum, or Dikjstra's shunting algorithm, or DeMorgan's
> theorum, or the vector cross product, this guy can tell you everything
> it is humanly possible to know, and how to apply it to any imaginable
> mathematical problem. Try to explain to him that you're taking down the
> B/W posters to replace them with colour versions of the same posters,
> and he looks at you like "wait... what?" Very strange.

Could be that guy... an amazing "practical genius" if I'm asked.