POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Programming language development : Re: Programming language development Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programming language development
From: clipka
Date: 6 Oct 2009 15:35:52
Message: <4acb9c18$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New schrieb:
> clipka wrote:
>> - even though it does appear to be mainstream indeed, it doesn't seem
>> to fit the bill of "Non-OO ... (imperative) language".
>
> It's not OO. There's a library to make it look like it's OO. When you
> use that library, each object is represented as a global procedure. It
> can kind of sort of look OO, but it isn't.

Given that I have the impression that you accept as OO only what has a
certain runtime structure, instead of what aids in implementing an OO
design, I prefer to trust Wikipedia on this matter.

If it /feels/ like OO (i.e. it supports your attempts at implementing an
OO design), it /is/ OO.

>> As for Ada: When I think "mainstream", I don't usually think avionics,
>> weapon systems or spacecraft - or any other embedded or real-time
>> application, for that matter.
>
> OK. When I say "mainstream", I mean a language that's actually used for
> actual development by people other than those at the same company where
> the language was invented. I rule out things like Blue and Sing# and
> such, the experimental languages crafted for a specific program to be
> written in.

That would (for most part) match "production" language in my set of
definitions.

To be mainstream, something really needs to be... well, you know, in the
/main/ stream.

You wouldn't call some clothes fashion to be mainstream just because
people sell the clothes instead of sewing them at home for their own
personal use, would you? Or call some musical style mainstream just
because you can buy that type of music on audio CDs?