POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's crazy thing : Re: Today's crazy thing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's crazy thing
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Oct 2009 23:45:15
Message: <4acabd4b$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Its also the country with the highest number of people in jail,
>
> Not necessarily. We count people in jail awaiting trial. Other countries
> don't.
>
>> highest levels of drug use,
>
> Hard to measure, I'd think.
>
>> the highest cases of teen pregnancies, the highest rate of violent
>> crime, the highest level of science denial, etc.
>
> That I'd believe.
>
>> Somehow, I would hate to think that "longest continuous government"
>> requires any or all of these things, to survive this long.
>
> It doesn't. I'm thinking it's because of the flexibility of the
> constitution along with its inflexibility in some respects.
>
>> And, its not so clear why, "only modern country that has relatively
>> weak gun laws", is on the "good things" side of the line, instead of
>> right up there with the other list. ;) lol
>
> True, but you also have to ask about the attitudes behind it. We're also
> one of the few countries where the soldiers don't swear to obey the
> leaders, for example, but rather the country's legal system.

No. We reserve that for the first 6-8 years of school, depending on the
state, in the form of the pledge of allegiance. Since, after all, kids
are a) too stupid to know what an oath is, b) it still means something
after the 584th time you say it, and c) its not a bit insulting to
assume that, if you don't keep saying it, you might backslide and turn
into a commie. lol

Oh, and.. I wouldn't be too sure some of them don't. We had at least one
moron state, multiple times, even after being admonished for it, during
a congressional hearing, that she had, "taken an oath to defend the
president", rather than say... the constitution.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {